Life After Bible College

A year ago I was preparing for graduation from Johnson University; I was anxious, excited, scared, nostalgic and ultimately sad to be leaving the foothills of Tennessee. Knoxville had been my home for four years and I had made friends who I considered as important as family. So much life had been lived on that campus and as I look back there is some advice I would like to share with my friends who are getting ready to graduate.

1. The bible college bubble is real and it is scary to leave!

When you leave bible college you are so used to an environment where everyone shares, at a basic level, the same values and beliefs. This is not true when you leave and begin to enter "the real world". Be ready for people who use four letter words in every sentence. When I began my graduate career at the University of Cincinnati, the first few weeks were incredibly difficult for me. Walking around a campus without a dress code can be daunting and the discussions people are having openly will surprise you even more. Openly talking about their sex lives, their intimate, personal details that you would never want to know about your best friend is something you hear daily.

2. Find a way to be connected with other believers when you move away from school!

The biggest part of Johnson that I miss is the community, when I moved home I was not prepared for the loneliness and longing I would have for a community of believers like I had at Johnson. No, you will not be able to duplicate what you had at bible college with chapel, small groups and weekly devotionals with your hall BUT you can get connected with a church, stream chapel at home and begin to lead small groups of school aged kids. Sharing my knowledge and leading others has become one of my favorite parts of my week.

3. You may think you are doing alright until August comes and you see everyone moving back!

This is will one of the toughest parts of your transition away form bible college life. Due to the small student body, you have friends who are still at bible college and knowing they are all moving back will make you feel lonely. Don't be discouraged! Take the time to reach out and stay in touch! Those friendships you made in bible college become more important when you move home, take advantage of living in a technology age and use it to remain connected.

4. Get involved in something you love!

During this time of transition you will feel like you have so much extra time where you would usually walk down the hall to your friends room or for those student athletes go to practice. Find somewhere to be a part of a team or a community. You are now on the other side of your playing career, maybe look into coaching? If you do not want to coach then join a team that plays for fun! Either way, find something you love, read for pleasure, learn a new skill but do something! Don't let that time go to waste.

5. Do not be discouraged in this time of uncertainty.

Life after college, in general, is absolutely terrifying but life after bible college comes with a whole other set of obstacles. There is a huge loss in your life when we talk about the friendships and community (and their closets, ladies I know you hear me on that). Although I would challenge you to see the excitement that comes with leaving the bible college bubble. Do not spend all of your time fretting the future, or talking about the future. Enjoy the time of uncertainty, your future is wide open and that is scary, yes, but it is also the most exciting thing in the world. Take this time to dream and dream big!


Psalm 20:4  “May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.”

Comments

Popular Posts